Master of Arts Programmes at the University of Languages and International Studies (ULIS), Vietnam National University, Hanoi (VNU)
Throughout its nearly 60 year history as a leading university and a founding member of Vietnam National University, Hanoi (VNU), the University of Languages and International Studies (ULIS) has played a defining role in foreign language teacher education, international studies, and related fields in Vietnam through its pursuit of academic excellence, and commitment to innovation and creativity. The University’s vision is to develop into a prestigious university in languages, linguistics, international studies and related social sciences and humanities. Its mission is to contribute to the national development through the pursuit of excellence in education, research, and the provision of quality services relevant to the needs of society. ULIS particularly values creativity, dynamism, honesty, responsibility, and the ability to live and work in a multi-cultural and competitive world.
At present, ULIS offers 22 BA programmes, elevent MA programmes and eight PhD programmes and has an enrolment of about 250 graduate learners per year, 4,800 undergraduates, studying at its 10 faculties and two departments; 320 learners at the Center for International Education; and about 1,500 learners at a high school (The Foreign Language Specialized School) affiliated with it. ULIS also runs a number of joint programmes in partnership with other VNU members and international universities and institutions.
ULIS has made every attempt to maintain educational quality and standards, considering it as a pivotal factor that greatly contributes to the University’s development. ULIS’s Fast Track Programme was accredited by ANU – QA in 2012, Master of Arts in English Linguistics Programme in 2014, and its Master of Arts in English Teaching Methodology Programme in 2016. The other eight Teacher Education regular programmes (English, Russian, Chinese, and French, Japanese, German and Korean) and two other Fast Track programmes (Chinese and French) have been accredited in accordance with MOET standards. Developing professionalism in all areas of activities is one of the goals ULIS has been striving towards.
The Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS) is one of the top faculties for English language education and linguistics studies at the graduate level in Vietnam. Originated from the Section of Graduate Studies Management founded in 1989 as a part of the Science Management Department with the Decision signed by the Chairman of the Ministerial Council (now the Prime Minister) assigning the ULIS (known at that time as College of Foreign Language Teacher Training) with the task to train language teachers and researchers at graduate level, FGS has now grown into one of the largest graduate faculties in foreign education and linguistics nation-wide.
FGS is responsible for graduate training with Diploma, MA and PhD programmes. The ULIS Diploma and MA in TESOL programmes have produced thousands of graduates since their creation in 1992. Currently FGS has an Executive Board with the Dean and a Vice Dean and a staff of 5 members. The teaching staff members are lecturers from other Faculties of ULIS, with some visiting lecturers from other universities in Vietnam. Currently, more than 500 learners are enrolled in the MA programmes in 11 specializations, and 60 learners are studying in PhD programmes in 8 specializations.
FGS currently offers elevent Masters programmes and eight PhD programmes in close collaboration with other faculties of ULIS. In addition, a Post-Graduate Diploma in TESOL programme has been offered since 2002 and a joint programme with Southern New Hampshire University, USA (Master of Science in TEFL) launched in 2007.
University of Languages and International Studies (ULIS), Vietnam National University (VNU), Hanoi currently delivers 11 Master of Arts (MA) programmes with:
7 programmes in Linguistics in: English, Russian, French, Chinese, German, Japanese or Korean and
4 programmes in Language Teaching Methodology: English, Russian, French, Chinese
- Master of Arts in Linguistics or Language Teaching Methodology (LTM) run by ULIS
– Entry requirements: BA in Linguistics or BA in LTM
– Training time: 2 years of full time training with at least 18 consecutive months of taking taught components on campus. In certain circumstances, students can have 1 year of extension.
– Programme structure: 65 credits including a 9-15 credit MA thesis
– Tuition fee: The tuition fee is subjected to change annually: The current tuition fee is 45.000.000VND per annum (US$2,143 approximately) plus US$200 registration fee.
– Certificate awarded: Master of Arts in Linguistics or Language Teaching Methodology (awarded by ULIS)
- Master of Science in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (MS-TEFL) jointly run by ULIS and Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU), the US.
– Entry requirements: BA in English Linguistics or BA in ELT.
– Training time: 2 years
– Programme structure: 45 credits (27 credits awarded by ULIS in the first year; 18 credits awarded by SNHU in the second year, no MA thesis component)
– Tuition fee: The tuition fee is subjected to change annually: The current first year fee is 27.400.000VND (≈US$1,208) and the second year fee is US$5,922 plus a graduation fee of $103.
– Certificate awared: Master of Science in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (awared by USNH)
For further information, please contact
- Tel: (+84) 2466806762
- Mailing Address: Room 102-Block A3-University of Languages and International Studies, Vietnam National University, Hanoi, No2 Pham Van Dong Road, Cau Giay District, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Website: http://saudaihoc.ulis.vnu.edu.vn
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org