Faculty of Korean Language and Culture
|2nd Floor – Block A3 – ULIS – VNU|
|Dr. Tran Thi Huong
||Dr. La Thi Thanh Mai
||MSc. Nguyen Thuy Duong
|Dean||Vice Dean||Vice Dean|
The Faculty of Korean Language and Culture is a training unit of the University of Languages & International Studies, VNU with the function of organizing, implementing and developing undergraduate training programs managed by the Faculties, in collaboration with the Faculty of Graduate Studies to develop training graduate programs., manage students at all levels and training systems in VNU, and at the same time carry out scientific research in the units.
- Managing lecturers, employees and learners of the Faculty as assigned by ULIS President.
- Planning and organizing the implementation of scientific, technological activities and international cooperation; cooperating with scientific and technological organizations, business and other organizations related to the training industry; calling on the participation of enterprises in the training process of the Faculty.
- Developing plans for the development of teaching staff, training disciplines, and facilities for training activities and scientific research; enhancing conditions for quality assurance so as to meet the social demands and international integration.
- Developing plans and organizing the implementation of political education, ideology, morals and lifestyles for lecturers, employees and learners; developing plans on training and fostering the professional qualifications for lecturers and other employees of the Faculty.
- Planning and organizing the implementation of education and training activities in accordance with the key plan of the University, including: developing training programs and specialized majors; organizing the elaboration of detailed syllabus on relevant subjects in order to ensure the uniformity and avoid overlapping between subjects of training programs or between training levels; organizing the development of training programs, elaborating schemes, compiling documents and syllabi according to the University’s development orientations; implementing research on improving teaching and learning methods; developing and implementing methods of examining and evaluating students’ learning outcomes, ensuring the learners’ learning outcomes to meet the demand of the labor market. The development of training programs, curricula, and teaching materials must comply with the regulations of the Ministry of Education and Training, VNU and ULIS.
- Organizing the assessment of managers, lecturers and researchers of the Faculty and taking part in assessing managers of the whole University according to the University’s regulations.
- Participating in developing and forming postgraduate training programs.
- Managing facilities and equipment of the Faculty.
- Coordinate with units and functional departments in the University to perform training, research, and service provision tasks according to the University’s assigned decisions.
- Cooperating with institutions and individuals outside the University in accordance with the current law in order to serve the functions and tasks of the Faculty.
- Performing other tasks assigned by ULIS President.
- In terms of compiling textbooks, reference books and teaching materials
- From 2000 to 2020: 41 textbooks were accepted for teaching purposes.
- 2009: Published 01 reference book.
- 2010: Published 03 reference books and 02 translated books.
- 2011: Published 01 translated book, and 01 reference textbook.
- From 2006 to 2015: Implemented and completed 09 projects at the University level and 02 projects at the National University level.
- 2012: Published 02 translated books (literature) and 01 monograph syllabus.
- 2013: Published 02 translated books (literature and Korean study).
- 2016: Published a monograph.
- 2017: Published a monograph and a textbook.
- From 2012 to now: Lecturers of the Faculty have implemented more than 150 international and national scientific research projects.
- As of 2020, a total of 36 books were published (textbooks, references, books on literary and Korean translation, etc.).
- From 2016 to now: compiling Korean textbooks for high school students under the National Language Project of Ministry of Education and Training.
- In terms of international cooperation
- By 2021, the Faculty has successfully organized 06 major international seminars including: “Seminar on Researching and Teaching Korean Language and Culture in the context of global integration” with the participation of more than 300 delegates, including about 80 foreign delegates (2009); “Seminar on Researching and Teaching Korean Language and Korean Studies in Vietnam” on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the establishment of Korea-Vietnam diplomatic relations, the 18th anniversary of teaching Korean language, ULIS-VNU (2012) ; “International Conference on Innovation in Teaching – Learning and Research in Korean Studies in Vietnam” (2015); International Conference “New Steps in Teaching Korean Language and Culture in Vietnam” co-organized by KF-KRAV-ULIS (2018); International Conference “The current status and prospects of Korean studies training and research in Vietnam” within the framework of the project “Building a training and research system for the development of Korean studies in Vietnam” co – organized by ULIS-AKSCORE (2019); International Scientific Conference on Online Korean Studies with the theme “New trends in Korean Studies training and research in Vietnam” (2021)
- Establish and always maintain as well as develop close relationships with Korean government agencies (Korean Embassy in Hanoi, Korea Foundation, Korean Cultural Center in Vietnam….), expand cooperation and exchange with many Korean universities.
- Cooperate and get funding from the Korea Foundation for Cooperation and Exchange (KF): Within 5 years, the Faculty has received support for the development of the Korean language by welcoming 05 Korean professors to teach and improve professional training for lecturers under long-term (1-2 years) and short-term (6 months) programs; received funding to equip multi-functional classrooms (2009, 2020), received funding for an online teaching equipment system for online classrooms (2013), opened an online Korean learning course every year within the framework of E-school project sponsored by the HQ International Exchange Fund (KF) and received funding for the Korean TV Program from Beginning Level 1 (2011) to Advanced Level (2015).
- Cooperated and received funding from the Central Academy of Korean Studies (AKS) for the 2012 International Conference on Korean Studies. Being the first and only Vietnamese institution to receive a project to support researchers of Korean Studies in Vietnam by the Central Academy of Korean Studies (AKS) (2011). In 2015, successfully organized an international conference with the financial support of (AKS). In 2018, the Center for Korean Studies was established. Since 2019 up to now, it has directly implemented and managed the project “Building a key university for Korean studies in Vietnam” – AKS Core for short, sponsored by the Central Academy of Korean Studies (AKS).
- Cooperate with and receive funding from the Sejong Hakdang Foundation (under the Korean Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism): established Sejong Center Hanoi 2 as a training center for Korean language and culture for all subjects (2011), received funding for human resources to teach at Sejong Center including training costs, teacher training program, Korean TV programs in tourism (2014). Every year, teachers are appointed to participate in a short-term professional training course (up to now, about 10 teachers have been sent).
- Training cooperation with Kookmin University, Korea: From the academic year 2014-2015, the Faculty has cooperated with Kookmin University (Korea), Center for International Education (under the University of Languages and International Studies – VNU) to open the 1+4 model joint training program (first year, students learn Korean at University of Languages & International Studies - VNU, from the second year, students transfer to Kookmin University with majors: Economics, Finance, International Trade, Management, Public Administration etc…). Up to now, the program has successfully organized 7 courses (with a total of about 120 students).
- Received cooperation and sponsorship of Communication Company Dunet Inc., Korea and Korea Cyber University on server system and Korean lecture content (2010).
- Authorized by Samsung Group to teach Korean language to its elite staff, up to October 2018, the Faculty organized 11 training courses and will maintain stable training cooperation with Samsung Group in the future.
- Maintain good relationship with international organizations such as Korea Foundation, KOICA… receive many valuable scholarships from Korean business organizations and associations in Vietnam such as: Samsung, Lotte, KEB , LG, Posco…
- Up to the 4th academic year, the percentage of Korean language major students receiving non-budget scholarships accounted for over 70%, including both cash scholarships and courses to study abroad.
- Every year send students to study short-term language courses at universities such as Seoul, Konkuk, Kookmin and organize courses on business administration of Kookmin University.
- Many Korean language teachers and students have received undergraduate and post graduate scholarships from the Korean government and the scholarships for short courses from Korean government agencies (Koica, Korea Foundation, Sejong Foundation) Hakdang). Since 2017~present: 360 students have received scholarships from non budget (cash) of organizations and individuals (Lotte scholarship, KEB scholarship, Hite Jinro scholarship, Pony Chung etc…), 85 students have been granted scholarships to study in Korea (exchange scholarships, Master’s degree scholarships). This number is increasing day by day.
- Number of sponsoring or cooperating agencies: more than 20 Korean universities, training and research institutions, corporations, enterprises and this number is increasing year by year.
- Continue to maintain good, cooperative relationship and receive many valuable scholarships for students from Korean enterprises, organizations and associations: Samsung scholarship, Lotte scholarship, KEB scholarship, Pony Chung, Kumho Asiana…, received book sponsorship from Lotte Group and Yes 24 (more than 1000 books), Master’s degree training programs, short courses for students and teachers.