The working group of the University of Languages and International Studies (ULIS) worked at Leipzig University and the University of Greifwald, Germany
From November 5th to 11th, 2016, the working group of the University of Languages and International Studies – Vietnam National University, Hanoi (ULIS – VNU) by Dr. Do Tuan Minh visited and worked at two of the oldest and most prestigious universities of the Federal Republic of Germany – Leipzig University and the University of Greifswald.
Leipzig University was founded on December 2nd, 1409. This is one of the oldest universities in Europe with high reputation for global orientation and tertiary teaching research.
In 3 working days at the University of Leipzig (from November 6th – 8th, 2016), representatives from ULIS had a meeting with Prof. Thomas Hofsass – Vice-President of the University of Leipzig, Prof. Tschirner – Director of Herder Institute of Leipzig University, Prof. Siebenhaar – Dean Faculty of Languages and Prof. Fandrych who is in charge of the cooperation program with ULIS and signed an agreement on cooperation in Master of joint-program between two universities.
By meetings and exchanges, two universities agreed to cooperate in the following areas:
1. Leipzig University will support ULIS – VNU in constructing and modernizing the programs, curriculum, training, as well as improving teaching method and assessment for teaching faculty by increasing seminars, symposiums between two sides.
2. The two sides agreed to boost cooperation in Master of German language joint-program.
3. Improving teachers: annually, the Faculty of German Language and Culture appointed 5 lecturers to Leipzig University to participate in scientific research and professional training.
4. Every year, Leipzig University will delegate 3-4 lecturers to teach students and graduate students of the ULIS.
5. Exchange of students, graduate students: ULIS sends 2-3 students to Leipzig to study materials for all dissertations and master’s thesis. By contrast, Leipzig University appoints 01 to 02 students to practice at ULIS.
6. Leipzig University support funding to strengthen infrastructure, including purchasing materials, computers, tape recorders, cameras, …
7. Leipzig University continues to provide Erasmus+ scholarships for ULIS students to study in Germany.
Then, from November, 09th to 11th, 2016, representatives of ULIS visited and worked at the University of Greifswald – also the oldest university in Germany. Founded since 1456, now this university has about 10,000 students (including many Vietnamese students). Since 2015, the University of Greifswald also has provided scholarship programs for pupils and students from ULIS. Additionally, it also creates favorable condition for lecturers of the Faculty of German Language and Culture to learn and enhance their professional qualifications.
At the University of Greifswald, ULIS’s working group had discussion with Prof. Werner – Vice Rector, Ms. Schmidt – Head of Development Cooperation, worked with the Department of English and Language Sciences, and Centre for Foreign language school as well as attended “Grammar and Dictionary” by Prof. Heine and conference “Cooperation with Vietnam”. Through exchanges, discussions, leaders of ULIS and the University of Greifswald agreed to promote cooperation in education and scientific research, namely:
1. The University of Greifswald continues to fund for Erasmus + programs in the upcoming years.
2. Two sides will expand cooperation in the field of language research and international study.
3. The University of Greifswald supports, improves lecturers, and appoints high-qualified teachers to teach undergraduates and graduate students of ULIS – VNU, or supports post-graduates.
4. The University of Greifswald keeps on supporting ULIS students to study at that university.
5. Ulis is willing to receive and create good conditions for students from Greifswald to attend university and graduate school, or train at ULIS
The evening of November 11th, 2016, ULIS’s group left the University of Greifswald ending the working trip in Germany, which made a great contribution to promoting the cooperation and opening up many opportunities for further cooperation between ULIS – VNU and universities of the Federal Republic of Germany, especially with Leipzig University and the University of Greifswald.